News RSS



Is Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee Worth the Price?

A Reputation that Precedes It Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee. For those who have heard of this exquisite coffee, the first word that comes to mind might be “expensive”. The beans themselves must pass through a rigorous series of tests before they can be officially recognized and certified as authentic Blue Mountain coffee. Annually, the amount of Blue Mountain produced is quite low in comparison to the potential amount that could be produced and sold. Also, of the amount that is sold, a good chunk (80%) is exported to Japan, while the rest of the global market has to make due with the remaining 20%. Looking on Amazon, I see a 1 pound bag of certified Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee selling...

Continue reading



Can you camp at Zebra Slot Canyon? (And getting there!)

While the rocky landscape of southwest America is replete with rocky gorges, Zebra Slot Canyon is a particularly beautiful one. At Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument, you will find this small but very beautiful canyon- a great hike for people who love slot canyons. Zebra Slot Canyon is a 5.2 mile hike (round-trip). This canyon is a relatively short hike, but a bit tricky in spots. Along the way you will gain about 300 feet in elevation (on the return hike). The total hike takes about 3 to 4 hours to complete. The trail to the slot canyon is fairly easy and it’s only the slot canyon itself that is tricky.Make sure to bring lots of water, sunscreen, and shoes...

Continue reading



What is Sulawesi Toraja coffee? (And what is the "White Eagle" variety?)

Imagine a cup of coffee from Indonesia, that isn’t from Sumatra, and is also sweet, spicy, clean, light bodied in taste, but with a deep and brooding profile. Such a cup can be made using beans from a region of east Indonesia known as Sulawesi (also known as Celebes Coffee). Of all coffee growing regions, perhaps the one that gets most often overlooked is Toraja, Sulawesi. The island of Sulawesi is located east of Borneo, and west of the Maluku Islands, right between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn. In Sulawesi, the Toraja growing region is located right between South and West Sulawesi and is situated between 1100-1800 meters above sea level. This humidity and high elevation are two of...

Continue reading



A Guide to Making the Best Water for Coffee - Epsom Salt and Baking Soda

 How Important is it to Have the Right Water for Coffee? Besides the freshness of beans being used, water is the most important aspect of a cup of coffee. In fact, the average cup of coffee is 98-99% water, with the remaining 1-2% being dissolved solids from the grounds and dregs.  As we noted in our cold brew guide, the right water is essential to a great tasting cup of coffee.  In addition, using water that is excessively hard in an espresso machine- or even a Keurig single-cup brewer- can cause internally damaging deposits to form, especially if descaling isn’t done regularly. Because water plays such a significant role in brewing coffee, it is important to be able to...

Continue reading



Fixing a French Press: An Illustrated French Press Repair Guide

Is your French press not performing as well as it used to? Are parts damaged from falling off the countertop? Or does the steel mesh filter look like you ate its last cupcake? Well look no further, here are several tips and tricks to get your French press working just how it did out of the box! A Half Broken Carafe When it comes to carafes, not all are created equal. Some are made of insulated steel, whereas most are constructed from different types of glass and ceramic. Dropping a metal carafe would do more damage to whatever it fell on, but dropping a glass one could potentially shatter it. If you have a glass or ceramic carafe that is...

Continue reading